Saturday 4 June 2016

Age-Old Excitement

I used to find a lot of friendship in watching films. Buying a new DVD - particularly the awesome £3-£5 ones you could pick up in ASDA - was one of my favourite things. I am pretty upset I have lost this habit (although my purse is probably thanking me). For me, one of the best things about the weekend arriving was the fact I could sit in my room on a Sunday and watch a couple of the films I'd watch on an almost weekly basis whilst watching old or new ones too.

Although I don't actually have the time for this anymore, I could totally make more time for watching at least one film at the weekend. As I used to think "films" as soon as I heard "weekend", I'd like to bring a smidge of this back. I would be completely disconnected from everything - even when I got my first phone - and I'd just enjoy a story. In my room... alone... with some of the best company in the world. At least that's what I believed.

I don't particularly watch TV anymore (I mostly just become attached to a series on Netflix every now and then) and even though I am happy about this, I think I have lost a bit of young excitement through ignoring the brilliance that is film. I do still recognise this young excitement feeling. Quite often actually. When I am reading a book with no other distractions around me; when McFly are making my ears happy; when I am writing. However I do need this one portion of young me back.

Activities I associate with my childhood will always be activities I cherish and adore. The conflict is that they also make me two kinds of nostalgic. One good. And one that makes me a bit teary (although that isn't always bad). I am a nostalgic human and I wish nostalgia didn't sometimes make me sad but I guess that means I care. And the film watching me that found absolute, whole excitement from being by herself and watching a film or three makes me grin.

As soon as possible I am going to stare at my DVD collection and have a real think. I am currently thinking about 13 Going on 30 or Freaky Friday or What Happens in Vegas. Whatever I choose I'm going to snuggle up in bed and forget the adult world and sink into one of my childhood/teenage favourite films.

What's something from your childhood that you want to start doing again?

Old & New Films,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...