Sunday 23 August 2015

The Shock of the Fall - Nathan Filer

I knew before I bought this book that it was going to be brilliant; I knew when I got the book that it would be brilliant; I knew in the time between getting this book and starting to read it that it would be brilliant; I knew when I turned to the first page that I was about to read something brilliant. Have you assumed that The Shock of the Fall is brilliant? It is, in fact, brilliant.
























The Shock of the Fall follows Matthew and his life, his tragedy and his mental illness. As well as this, we follow his good-natured ways and the voice of his that is mostly sweet and somewhat amusing with the way he portrays his thoughts and views. You read in the blurb that (this isn't a spoiler because we are given this straight away but maybe you won't appreciate it so look away now) his brother, Simon, dies at a young age and we grasp onto his heartache immediately.

I was told I would love The Shock of the Fall; it has the right level of warmth and heart mixed in with our attachment to the characters and the story. It's bitterly funny and very honest. It teaches, this novel. I've said this a million times before, but I love books that teach me; The Shock of the Fall brings that bit more awareness to mental health that we need. Matthew is suffering and finds comfort in telling his story- how we have the book in our hands. His dedication to his story makes it all the more readable.

As time goes on, we learn the intricacies of the tragic event as well as his illness. We learn his trouble with dealing with upset people and hence he doesn't like to upset people; we learn his inquisitive ways and his talents. This novel has already paved way for better awareness and education for mental health; it will do this even further. It will encourage more action.

This novel is seriously good- added to my favourites.

The Shock of the Fall is a beautifully presented novel. Not only the front cover, but it is beautifully illustrated while it is broken up in a very unique way. It simply is a brilliantly beautiful book and story.

Computers & Typewriters,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

P.S. My photographs are so awful at the moment- I am really hoping this will change soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...