Saturday 7 March 2015

A Happy Sentence | Scarlett by Cathy Cassidy

For THIS challenge I am reading four books this month, for different reasons. For the first week I read Scarlett by Cathy Cassidy, which I chose as a book I have read before. As this was one of my favourite books when I was younger (and remains a favourite!), I couldn't wait to get stuck in!




















Ah, this book! I adore it so much! Having this book in front of me reminded me of all of the times I re-read this book. I would feel excited for Scarlett and her romantic adventure, refreshed by the lessons learned and comforted by the family values that can be considered with other aspects of life too. I remember never wanting the novel to end whilst I swore the book was a form of magic.

On this nth reading, nothing has changed!

The titular character's story is about her - if we're being literary about it - coming of age story. With a lot of sadness in her heart and some lessons to be learned, we watch the brightly-coloured-hair character and her journey. After being kicked out of a few schools in London, she is sent to her dad's in Ireland. Here, living with a family that feels entirely strange to her, she has a lot of anger that is lurking.

With the gorgeously beautiful surroundings in the Irish setting, Scarlett finds herself still in trouble in another country's school too. Soon her heart opens to the place around her, with apples and cakes and homemade lemonade. And a boy named Kian.

Scarlett is sad and angry, but her awesomeness shines through. Her strength and courage triumph and you can't help but adore the attitude she finds again. She opens her heart to another world and we want her to! Then there is Kian- her dark and mysterious boy. He is haunted by the past but grateful for the present- very much so including Scarlett.

Scarlett is a sweet story and one I will never forget. And definitely one I will read again in the future.

Now it is time to read We Were Liars by E. Lockhart!

Midnight Horses & Apples,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...