Saturday 4 October 2014

Thinking Out Loud

I've been away from home for about two weeks now. It's exciting and challenging, but saddening too. The sadness, I believe, is more similar to gratitude though. I suppose the "you don't know what you had until you lost it" plays a part here. Thankfully - I type with a familiar, warm smile -, I haven't lost a thing. I didn't doubt it before, but the proof is something that keeps me warm while I'm sleeping in a foreign room, away from my home.

Exploring a new place has been exciting. Looking at new scenes and new names of places and new streets makes me quietly happy. As has meeting new people and learning new skills and dealing with sorting my own life out. Yes, it's awfully frightening to say I'm at the point in my life where I have to take control by myself and it makes me want to sit down and watch Peter Pan with gummy bears and strawberry milkshake, but hey, I can still do that!

What's more, having people make the effort to come and see me has been the most amazing feeling. I love my friends and family and everyone in my life. It's allowed for a couple of busy and lazy days; familiarity in a new place; a lot of love being felt. It's made me content in knowing I may be away from home, but nothing has been left behind. I know I'll return the effort.

I miss home. I really do. I've spoken about it before, but I miss the home that is friends and family and the things I've been doing for the last three months. I miss dunking too many biscuits in a cup of tea, opposite my brother doing the very same thing. I miss my mum's lovely outlook on life and my dad's silly jokes. I miss my best friends and I miss nights out with my friends. Yet, it is knowledge and fact that Christmas is going to be a special few weeks, just like the Easter holidays and the summer that follows that, that makes me excited to get on and enjoy these new things.

University is proving to be exciting. Starting lectures and learning a new way of teaching is one I'm enjoying. I miss classrooms and lots of discussions, but sitting and listening to the words about a subject I love is more than enough.

You're making me feel like home, even if I'm further from home than I've ever been.

Sweet Scents & Things To Do,

The Girl in the Moonlight.

4 comments:

  1. I've just been catching up on your blog posts and it's crazy to see how far you've come! I remember when I first discovered your blog, you were still talking about school and now you're in university, how exciting! I wish you the best in everything that's yet to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thank you so much! Yes, of course! Thank you- you too, Shirley! :)

      Delete
  2. It is awesome to see that you are in University now. Missing things sucks, but when you get to do those things again, it will just be so much sweeter!

    xoxo
    buildingtheconfidence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this! It really does, but that is so true! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...